Did you know there is a disease that inflicts twice as many women as breast cancer? According to the Alzheimer’s Association 2014 Facts and Figures report, women over 60 have a 1 in 6 chance of developing Alzheimer’s. Men have a 1 in 11 chance.
Maybe it is time to start wearing purple along with pink.
There are five million people in the United States afflicted with Alzheimer’s with half a million people dying each year due to the disease.
The impact on women puts them at the epicenter. Consider these facts:
- Two-thirds of those living with the disease are women
- Women are 2.5 times more likely than men to provide intensive “on-duty” care 24 hours a day for someone with Alzheimer’s
- Over 60 percent of Alzheimer’s and dementia caregivers are women
- 20% of women (compared with 3% of men) switch from full-time to part-time work in order to assume responsibilities as caregivers
- Women caregivers report feeling more isolated and depressed than men
- Women are more likely to take a leave of absence from work or stop working altogether
Valley Help At Home: Assisted Living at Home is partnering with the Alzheimer’s Association to bring Alzheimer’s support groups to Rexburg to serve caregivers and those in the early stages of the disease from Rigby to Driggs and everywhere in between. To stay informed about the support groups and to stay informed about Alzheimer’s Disease, fill out your information below.
[contact-form to=’GetCare@ValleyHelpAtHome.com’ subject=’Someone Wants To Stay Updated on Alzheimer%26#039;s Group’][contact-field label=’Your Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Your Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Your Phone Number’ type=’text’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’I am interested in learning more about Alzheimer%26#039;s support groups in Rexburg’ type=’checkbox’/][contact-field label=’Any other question you may have?’ type=’text’/][/contact-form]
For more information on Alzheimer’s in Idaho, click the link below.